Location and History
The school was named for the first public school benefactor in Winchester, Mr. John Kerr, a prosperous cabinetmaker, whose shop was located at the northeast corner of Boscawen and Loudoun Streets on the mall. He died on November 15, 1875. In his will, he arranged for funds to be used for the education of the children of Winchester. In 1883, City Council added $6000 more to this total, and the John Kerr Public School building was erected. In 1972, a new John Kerr School, our current elementary school, was built. The first John Kerr building, at the corner of Cameron and Cork Streets, continues to serve hundreds of students each year as a facility for Shenandoah University fine arts and other special interest classes for learners of all ages. The current John Kerr Elementary School, located at 427 Meadow Branch Ave, is a brand new facility and will open it's doors to students for the first time beginning in August, 2016.